Wednesday, September 30, 2015

We Made a Music

Ok it's been a while since I posted anything here. That's how this works though, right? I start out with a concerted effort to post regularly all of my insightful observations and witty remarks and then I go weeks without writing a damn thing. See, I'm getting the hang of this! Anyway a lot has happened since the last post so I've been having a time of it trying to decide what exactly to write about. There's flowing water on Mars, but as a Dr. Who fan I know that you should stay the fuck away from that stuff! Dripping space zombies? No thank you! So how about music then? Specifically music created, at least in part, by yours truly.

I've been involved in the making of music for the biggest part of my life. I started singing in choirs as a kid and eventually got the bug to start playing guitar in my teens. I was not a particular disciplined student of the instrument, mostly learning chords and playing Beatles and Bob Dylan songs and noodling around a little. I did eventually get to the point where I could play pretty well but it took WAYYYYYY longer than it should have. Then I spent years just playing for my own amusement. Not really writing songs or anything, but just banging around on the instrument and making noises that pleased me. In fact I never really thought I would write songs at all. I'm pretty self conscious about my writing especially where it involves having to actually get up in front of people and perform. I don't mind public speaking, in fact I like it, but to sing lyrics I wrote seemed like the most embarrassing thing on earth. Up until last year I had only written one song that ever got performed in public and it is no longer part of my repertoire. Since then I have written or co-written several songs. So now my friend, song writing buddy, and band-mate and I have produced between the two of us a bunch of recordings which have now been released out into the world of the internet. It's exhilarating and terrifying in equal measure to think about that many people potential hearing this stuff. I know I'm talking about maybe a couple hundred people here, not millions, but still. I've never had more than maybe 12 people show up at a gig before! Of course there is still the problem of how to play this stuff live. Sorry Black Keys but 2 dudes do not a band make. So we are looking for somebody or bodies to help us! Finding musicians on the internet is worse than internet dating, let me tell you.

And so, we made a music. Hope you listen. Hope you like it, or at least politely and discreetly dislike it. If you hate it, I don't really need to know. Ok people, that's all I have for tonight. If you haven't heard the music in question, this is where it lives...

https://www.facebook.com/TheUnquietedMinds
https://soundcloud.com/unquietedmindsnyc

No comments:

Post a Comment